Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Alas, Poor England...

Why did they grow to hate themselves so?:

"The State of Englishness The Brussels Journal

A few days ago (Friday, May 23rd) 18 year-old Ben Smith was stopped, in a routine check by a police officer, while driving his Vauxhall Corsa to his home in Melksham, Wiltshire. The officer found nothing amiss, but noticed an England flag on the parcel shelf (which Mr. Smith used to cover his music system from potential thieves) and ordered him to remove it. According to Smith:

He saw the flag and said it was racist towards immigrants and if I refused to take it down I would get a £30 fine. I laughed because I thought he was joking, but then I realized he was serious so I had to take it down straight away. I thought it was silly – it's my country and I want to show my support for my country."



2 comments:

Adam said...

I fear that we're not far behind.

alfred said...

It used to be the 'sun never sets on the British Empire', now it's 'last Briton out turn off the lights.'