Monday, March 15, 2010

Firematic Racing For Spring

I noticed this video again. Very nice.

A little more:



I will only state that hoses have a mind of their own...and wire as well...and chords...willful beasts...

"Until recently, mathematicians studying knots never worried about the properties of the rope or string used to tie their knots. They were only concerned with the way the knot wrapped around itself and ignored real-life questions such as whether a particular knot can be constructed in practice. Their mathematical knots were constructed out of string that had no thickness, just as the figures of geometry are constructed from idealised lines with no thickness.


In the real world, of course, thickness makes a difference: for example, there are lots of knots you can tie with a thin length of string that you can't using the same length of thicker garden hose. The crucial factor for tying real knots is not the width of the string, but the ratio of the length to the diameter. The smaller this ratio becomes, the harder it gets to construct a given knot. Below a certain threshold in this ratio, you can't construct the knot at all."

More when I get
back...they wish to be tangled...I know this for a fact.

Update: I'm back. My gut rumbles thinking about lines tangling...they rumble and think as they tangle.

So be it. I had a question years ago.

Is this tangle a more complicated system and does entropy enter the frustration...

I remain frustratedly unconvinced.

Another Update:

Must I hate New Scientist as well?

Will attempt to fix that tomorrow...

Update: Links altered.

No comments: