Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Moby Dick

I have finished the novel and I think it is a masterpiece. It combines wicked humor and science of the day along with an elegant weave of a daunting cross section of the human condition...typical humans and their faults and tendencies all laid bare. I could have done without some more "poetic" aspects but I will leave this here for now.

Jimmy raised some valid criticisms and I agree most emphatically with the notion that it, like so many works, is given a special status which it does not deserve.

Samuel Clemens once said "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read."

I think that quote suggests that the "experts" over-analysis exhausts folks on good reads...If you like it you like it...If it stinks say it out loud! Everyone will be better off!!!

I like many things that stink, for the record!

No comments: