Thursday, January 29, 2009

In the DVD

Back late. Traffic was pretty bad tonight so I took the longer way home and stared at the snow and hills...rich hills...the two state drive home.

Anyway I found "The Last Laugh" under the door along with "Downfall".


Both ought to resonate against one another but "Last Laugh" isn't to be confused with the fine Mark Knopfler song from his album Sailing to Philadelphia.

Great album. The Last Laugh is with Van Morrison. Sailing to Philadelphia the title track from the album had James Taylor crooning in...




I also found connectivity as opposed to the screen I have seen before, the same screen I have provided before, more than once.

This first film is evoking a novel by an author I haven't looked for in some time. I used to love his material in Granta in particular. I could go for some short stories...
(Update: I nearly forgot. I believe in this novel he mentions a martini recipe which involves inverting the glasses in a shallow tray of vermouth and keeping them in the freezer. At which time you desire a dry martini a frozen hint around the frozen lip of the glass is all you need to augment your gin or vodka...)
finished Eastern Star and hesitated on Water for Elephants for several reasons, going with The Devil Soldier for now...

4 comments:

Adam said...

Der Untergang! Great flick.
I remember seeing it in the theatre with Gator.After the movie, a trip to the bier hall where we laughed about its finer moments, all the time referring to it as "Das Bunker".

mc said...

This first silent film is interesting...so strange to see things from such a distance and have it be so familiar.

No spoilers...I'm guessing Blondie gets away!

mc said...

Funny...that didn't seem to come out right.

First thought pertains to the film "Last Laugh" and second thought...

well you know...

Ida said...

Eva was kind of hot.