Monday, October 29, 2007

Water

Follows me and does not wish to remain contained. I must get down to the basement and vacuum again.

A couple of links while I sit down for a second.

Pat Crawford makes excellent works in the knife realm.

Many, many years ago I purchased a survival staff (walking stick/blow gun etc.) I need to pick up a fitting because it will serve as a sturdy monopod for the camera.

These look very handy, they would make fine birthday/holiday gifts from those not on tight budgets to anyone who appreciates finely crafted items that are sure to get much use.

This is impressive more as jewelry than tool. Who could work something so lovely? When I went to Alaska I thought beforehand that if I were to get something to remember the trip it would be either a knife or I thought, what if I found a beautiful pen made with mastodon ivory? I really had that pen on my mind when I finally hit the first shop that mentioned ivory and what did I see? A gorgeous pen in ancient mammoth ivory!! Alas the price was far greater than I could realize, oh well. I have nice pens and knives, I took the experience far more deeply than I ever would something material. I never saw another one so it was remarkable to have something so specific in my brain and walk right up to it straight away.

Scientific American had an article about Damascus forging years ago. The man who wrote that has a paper up here which I believe is the same article but trimmed a little for a younger audience. SA does not have the archives freely available. The PDF version is here. Art history and science, what's not to love.

No comments: